Saturday, February 20, 2010

SEE

I have a new favorite - and yes I got my Steven Curtis Chapman CD for Valentine's Day from my sweet husband! I love this CD! So my new favorite is called SEE. This whole album is about Heaven and the loss of his little girl, Maria, who was accidentally ran over by his son.

Here is what he writes in the booklet about this song (yes I know it is long...I had to retype it all, but it is worth the read)!

'This three letter word took on enormous meaning to my family and me on May 22nd of 2008. The day after Maria went to Heaven Mary Beth and I went to our house with friends to get some clothes for the next few days. (We had decided to stay with our friends The Andersons until we felt we could return to our house for good.) We walked from room to room feeling like we were lost in some terrible dream and tried to imagine ever living in this house again that had suddenly become so terribly quiet and empty. As we walked through the dining room I noticed a piece of paper on Maria's little art table where she and her sister would spend hours coloring and drawing and cutting and gluing. (Maria especially ennjoyed the gluing part!) On that piece of paper was a flowerthat had been drawn and colored with markers. It was one of Maria's signature flowers that she loved to draw, but this one appeared to be unfinished as only one of the six petals was colored in with blue marker...the others were just outlined. The I noticed something that was written with marker on the back side of the paper. Now let me back up for just a minute and explain the other part of this story. Shortly after Maria had been carried away to Jesus, all of us, and particularly Caleb and I began to talk about how desperate we were to just "SEE" something...a dream or a vision...anything that would help confirm in some tangible way what we were holding onto by faith, that Maria was truly "okay", and even more than "okay", that she was safe in the arms of Jesus. It was a plea that I heard us all say several times in those first few hours..."God, please just let us "SEE" something"! So back to the flower artwork on the table, I turned the page over and was completely stunned to find a word written on the back in Maria's handwriting. To any of our knowledge she only knew 6 words that she could write..."I love you", "Mom", "Dad", and her name, "Maria". But there on the back of the paper she had written in all capiltal letters the word "SEE". Even as one that is usually careful not to attach more meaning to something than it deserves, I was and still am completely convinced that this was a precious "gift" from the broken heart of our Father in Heaven delivered thorugh our daughter's own hand the very morning before she leeft us for Heaven...I could picture the face of our little girl smiling at us saying "SEE mom and dad, SEE everybody, it's just like you said, only so much better...and I really am "okay!" And it was our Father's way fo saying, "SEE with eternal eyes, SEE that I have your little girl safe and sound with me, and SEE by faith My promise of the day that's coming very soon when I will make everything new and wipe every last one of these tears from your eyes." It wasn't until several days later that we also began to recognize a significance in the "unfinished" flower that she had drawn on that same paper. Of the six petals, only one was colored in with her favorite color, blue. Of our six children, only one has been completely "colored in" and made whole. The rest of us are still waiting for that coming day when finally we will clearly and completely SEE! 1 Cor. 13;12.'
Steven Curtis Chapman

Click here to listen to my new favorite song!

And here is Maria's picture!

4 comments:

Liz said...

Quite beautiful. I'm sure he's right too. God does leave us signs, that are sacred and personal. He's aware of us individually. If we have faith, we will see them in abundance, especially when we need them most. Thanks for sharing.

Brad, Amy, Bes and Mae said...

Sniff. Sniff.

whippetmom said...

I'm with Amy...*sniff sniff* TFS!

Oak City Books said...

Um, that's the saddest thing ever. And, a reminder that GOD is in control. I cannot imagine the loss of a child. How lucky and blessed they are that Maria left them that drawing. The craziest thing is that there were 6 children and 6 petals and 1 petal was colored in. That baffles me. WOW. Thanks for sharing Liz!