Sunday, June 9, 2013

Pensacola Lighthouse

We took the morning on Saturday and decided to do a little sight seeing.  We went to this lighthouse which is actually on the Naval Air Station (I'm having a hard time not calling it a base.) 
 
 It was very interesting to say the least!  The lighthouse keeper stayed in the house connected to the lighthouse.  Every evening he would have to carry up 2- 5 gallon buckets of oil to light the lighthouse for the night!  They had one there and it was HEAVY!  This lighthouse has 177 stairs.  I can't imagine that being my job every night!  I'm thinking he was in great shape! 


 Our view from the top!  Matthew and Shelby couldn't go up because there is a height requirement.  David stayed down with them.  Next time we go - I'll stay down and let him climb the 177 stairs!

 Going back down!

0 comments: