Thursday, April 23, 2009

One year ago today...

we at CAFB lost two of our own in a T-38 crash. One was Instructor Maj Blair Faulker and the other, a student, Matthew Emmons.

I will never forget the turn of events that day- they play in my head at vividly as the events of 9/11. I was out trying to cut grass around lunchtime (never got the darn thing started) and my good friend, Liz, is frantic at my fence....saying "I saw smoke on the runway as I was coming out of the Commissary". We knew something was WRONG- way WRONG. You get no news right away when a tragedy happens, the waiting is the worst. She was very scared for her husband Andrew, but for some reason I had asked him the night before when he flew the next day. (Why would I ask this- now I know it was God helping me to be able to console Liz in her time of need.) I remembered he had an early flight, as well, I knew David did- so I felt confident that our husbands were safe and sound. Of course you try to call them, but everything and everyone is on lock down.

As Liz is feeling a little better, she heads home- a couple streets away- but calls me soon thereafter with the news that it was a confirmed T-38 crash...this is all we know. David was flying the T-6, so I felt better, but Liz's husband was in the T-38 Trainer at the time. I felt like I was back to square one. So I told her I would call a few Instructor wives that I knew, one being who Andrew flew with that day. No one knew anything. I also call a friend, Paige, who's husband is also an Instructor in the T-38 and she is on her way home from work in tears.

I end up going to Paige's house to sit with her and some friends while we wait to hear any word. Liz also comes over b/c her mom is at home with Gavin. This is not something I ever wish on anyone.....I should not at 27 years old have to sit and pray with friends waiting to hear whose husband is hurt or killed. We then hear that it was fatal and one was an Instructor and one a Student. The minutes feel like hours and finally another friend gets word of the names - Maj Faulkner and Lt Emmons. There was no relief in knowing that it was not a husband of the wives I was with. It hit home like it was a brother, a cousin, a best friend....

The community of Columbus AFB was completely silent for days......the hurt was felt throughout and today we honor them. Their service to this country amazing - not many men and women decide to put themselves in the line to keep this country free. My heart and prayers go out to both of their families today. Blair left behind a wife and 2 small children. Rachel is the strongest Christian I know and I am proud to be her friend. Matt left behind a wife and an unborn son at the time. May their day be filled with peace that both men were Christians and today they are in a wonderful place....no more hurt, no more pain. God bless them as today will be a tough one.

0 comments: