Friday, June 20, 2008

There are still people who care....

I was trying to go back to sleep after talking to David tonight (he is cross country this weekend), but I just couldn't stop thinking about what he told me. So instead I grabbed the laptop and am trying to see the letters in this dark room without my contacts in! He went on his trip with a friend of ours and of course 2 Instructors. He is right now at another AF base winding down and relaxing, thinking about today's journey I imagine. He called me to let me know that they made it okay and to tell me about their recent stop in Asheville NC.

I am from NC, born there and spent 27 years there before I moved here to Mississippi. It is and always will be my home. Although I did not grow up with my dad or mom in the military, I was exposed to it daily. I had the pleasure of living in the hometown that housed an Army and an Air Force base. Seeing men and women in uniform was nothing odd to me....it was the norm. David and I went to college at Western Carolina University, in the mountains of NC and all the way on the far SW of the state. Not far from us, about and hour away, was another college town called Asheville. Asheville is a VERY liberal city. I was recently there and not much has changed from how I remember it 5+ years ago.

So David and his "crew" flew into Asheville today to complete one of their legs before continuing on their way. They ended up eating lunch at a Thai restaurant, which he said was very good by the way. But as they were finishing their meal, the waitress brought them the dessert menu. They all declined, saying that they were full. Remember -they are in flight suits and stick out like a sore thumb (which I still can't imagine living around this my whole life). The waitress proceeds to tell them - "No you have to get dessert, your meal has been paid for by one customer and another customer has bought you dessert." WOW! How honoring is it to go to another city, another state and someones buys you a meal to say "Thank You for what you do for me and this country!" I think I sometimes forget the sacrifice, David, and all these other men and women make for us everyday. And maybe that is because he is not currently deployed, but this was a reminder and for that I say Thank You! It is amazing to me that in such a liberal town there are still people that appreciate what the military do for us. And maybe it was a Veteran that did this, but maybe it wasn't. Maybe it was a regular Joe, out making a living for himself and is just proud of what this country stands for and proud to be an American.

1 comments:

Jenny Brooks said...

That is really neat. And while there are so many who are vocal with negativity toward the war...we still have it great. Rob's dad was flying during Vietnam, and it was far cry from what it is today. Thankfully.