Saturday, January 3, 2009

Our Year in Review- 2008

I am amazed at how the years fly by the older you get! When I look back we did so much....so here is the Akins Year in Review!

David:
- started UPT in Feb
- Track selected in August to the T-1
- went on a couple cross countries and having fun with the guys!

Jackson:
- turned 1 in March
- took his first steps on David's birthday
- now runs everywhere he goes
- had his first haircut
- got all of his teeth in besides his 2 year molars

Elizabeth
- traveled home 3 times
- started training and completed my first half marathon
- became a steering team member for MOPS
- took on other regular "jobs" that keep me busy
- went to a Conference in April/May with my friends from college to keep up my Continuing Ed.

Other events in 2008 that changed our lives:
- We lost two of our own here at CAFB in a plane crash. Blair was an amazing man that we went to church with and opened his home up to us regularly! He was a mentor to David in the short time we got to know him. We experienced what a tragedy like that does not only to you but to an entire community.
- My dad surprised us and himself with triple bypass surgery in March. What a horrible feeling to think you may lose your father(for the 2nd time...as if cancer wasn't bad enough). I flew home with Jackson for a couple weeks to help my mom out and in the meantime, my Grandmother went into the hospital also. So we were between 2 floors at the hospital for about a week. My dad pulled through great and is like a new man today, but unfortunately my Grandmother went to heaven about a week after I returned home.
- My parents had to put our family dog of 14 years down. It was sad at Christmas not having her around!

This next year should be an exciting year for us. David will finish Flight School in March and I will finally get to pin those much deserved wings on! We will also find out in February where we will live the next chapter in our life! Stay posted!

2 comments:

Jenny Brooks said...

Wow, a year does go fast. I can't believe you'll be finding out where you'll be moving next! We're excited for you! It creeps me out to think that we're going to have to think about assn's again, when I feel like we just got here...that and sell a house. Which frightens me to think about in this economy.

Brad, Amy, Bes and Mae said...

The bad thing about living in Columbus... fab friends have to MOVE!! You find out where you will be in Feb?? When will you actually move?