Tuesday, August 5, 2008

It's Alive!

My brother bought me a hibiscus tree for my birthday 4 years ago.....it is absolutely beautiful. But this poor tree has been through it. It has been through 2 moves.....one being 5 states away and 3 winters where it looked like I should have thrown it in the trash.

The first summer it bloomed everyday and was so pretty, second summer it bloomed about half the time, last summer we thought we had killed it (it might have bloomed a few times) and this year I didn't have much hope. Last year I talked to a green thumb on base that has 2 and she suggested replanting it....so we did. Nothing happened. And this winter it looked like a dead tree in my Office, so I cut it back to nothing and hoped for the best. Spring came and I put my pitiful tree back out although it was quite embarrassing! Low and behold it started to grow and become plentiful with bright green leaves - no blooms! I figured it wouldn't bloom, but was going to keep it anyway since it was so pretty and green. Hard work and dedication does pay off! I noticed last week that I had some buds on there and this morning my first bloom appeared! HOORAY!!! I am also proud to say that we have many more buds awaiting their glorious arrival!

If anyone knows anything about how to care for these plants, please enlighten me....I asked at a local nursery and they gave me nothing...should I be surprised???

Here is a picture of my hibiscus!


And here is an up close of the color! PRETTY!

4 comments:

Traci said...

Wow it looks awesome now! I have a black thumb so I definitely don't have advice for you. lol

Anonymous said...

How appropriate that it waited till I moved to bloom ;)

Snips and Snails said...

Very beautiful...makes me miss mine and want to work in the yard.
I remember my mom (she has the greenes thumb of anyone I know) telling me that keep them inside in bright sunshine in the winter and water lightly a couple times a week. I did this with mine when we lived ion Fayettville and it did pretty good.

Unknown said...

Hey! The color is great. I had some when we lived in Pittsburgh (a lifetime ago). I can't remember if it was powdery mildew or spider mites that attacked. Either way, watch for it/them and attack back quick. xxoo