Wednesday, July 9, 2008

No more peas please

Jackson has hit a point where he doesn't want to eat vegetables. I am sure this is normal with most kids, but I really want him to be a good eater. I fixed black eyed peas for dinner tonight (yummy) and had them done early enough to give them to him at lunch along with butter beans and applesauce. He is not a meat eater right now, so I am not pushing the issue on that. I smash the beans up still b/c he is such a texture guy....I think this may be why he is not a good eater. He ate a few bites of the beans with that look of disgust, but I did manage to get some in him. Then it turned from disgust to what you would think was poison! So I did what any good mother would do and I hid them in applesauce bites. He is on to me though....little turkey! So I decided to reason with a 15 month old. I told him stories of how Great Grandma Jackson use to take her pills in applesauce so she could swallow them. As you can believe this had no impact. He looked at me as if to say.....who is this Great Grandma Jackson and what is a pill??? But I did get enough veggies in him to make me feel okay for this feeding. And dinner is only a few hrs away! :( BOO!

But on a lighter note, I am also trying to teach him manners since his new favorite thing is "huh" after EVERYTHING I say. We had this discussion at a bible study last year on if you should teach your children manners or more likely force the issue on them. I want Jackson to learn his manners and I will expect it out of him as he gets older. My mom once said "You may not like me at the moment, but you will respect me." And I am turning into my parents b/c I feel the same way. Okay back to Jackson. So he is always saying "huh" and I reply with "mame". And is goes back and forth - huh, mame, huh, mame, huh, mame.....you get the picture. Well the other morning it went like this- huh, mame, huh, mame, ame. Yeah he tried to say mame! What a breakthrough. Granted it is the only time he has done it, but it's a start to good manners right?? The only problem I see in the future is him saying mame to his dad! That could be funny! :)

0 comments: